Welcome Community Health 5210 Jefferson County 5210 Sectors
5210 Jefferson aims to increase healthy eating and physical activity in schools by promoting the 5-2-1-0 message and creating a healthier school environment.
Schools reach children during an important period of development, in an environment that can positively influence healthy behaviors. Children spend the majority of their day at school and eat one or more meals, plus snacks during that time. Combine this with educational goals focused on positive physical, social, emotional, and academic development and schools are an ideal location to support increased physical activity and healthy eating.
Schools have the opportunity to provide healthier foods in the classroom and cafeteria, and to creatively increase physical activity throughout the entire school day, supporting healthier children now. They also provide a safe environment for children to learn and practice the skills needed to support healthy behaviors for a lifetime!
5210 Jefferson provides participating schools with a toolkit, online resources, and assistance to help guide them in successfully supporting increased physical activity and healthy eating for children and youth.
Listed below are 10 key strategies that can be used individually or collectively in schools to address the policies, practices, and environments that influence healthy lifestyle behaviors:
10 STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS
- Encourage healthy choices for snacks and celebrations.
- Participate in local, state, or national initiatives that promote physical activity and healthy eating.
- Include community organizations in wellness promotion.
- Involve and educate families in initiatives that promote physical activity and healthy eating.
- Encourage water and low fat milk instead of sugar-sweetened drinks.
- Discourage the use of food as a reward; use physical activity as a reward.
- Incorporate physical activity into the school day.
- Develop a 5-2-1-0 friendly staff wellness program.
- Collaborate with School Nutrition Program.
- Implement or strengthen a wellness policy that supports the 5-2-1-0-strategies.
Click below to check out another 5210 Jefferson Sector!
5210 JEFFERSON | 615 SHERIDAN ST. PORT TOWNSEND, WA 98368 | 360-385-9400
5210 initiative is adapted from the Let's Go! program in Portland, Maine. Visit Let'sgo.org for additional resources.